- Stir yeast with warm water and sugar, allow yeast to dissolve for 5 – 10 minutes
- Add flour and salt to a mixing bowl
- Melt butter and allow to cool
- Add yeast mixture and butter to flour, mix until well combined. Cover the bowl and let rise until doubled in size (approx. 1 hour depending on the room temperature)
- Preheat oven to 180° C. Divide dough into 4 portions, and each portion in half. Roll 2 long ropes (called sulka), each about 30 cm long. Connect them on one end and intertwine like a braid. Shape into a circle. Repeat to have 4 obwarzanki.
- Boil water in a pot. Place first obwarzanek into the water for 10 – 15 seconds, lift it out and place on an oven grate, repeat with remaining ones
- When still wet, top with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or salt
- Bake for about 20 minutes until your obwarzanki are nicely brown